Gravesend’s Cold War bunker is located within Woodlands park and was originally known as Civil Defence Region 6.
It was an underground Civil Defence command post, built in 1954, from which Gravesend’s rescue and emergency services were to be co-ordinated in the event of a nuclear attack. Its 13 rooms contained power and ventilation plant, communications areas for the command staff and dormitories, as well as the main operations and status rooms.
The site has been absolutely superbly restored, with lots of period equipment and decor. It also contains a mock up of a Royal Observer Corp Post.
Several open days are held per year, of which details are available through the Gravesham Borough Council Website.