The Power Plant was commissioned in 1977, with one RBMK 1000 megawatt reactor being commissioned, over the next 6 years, another three reactors were added and a further two were under construction. The plant provided 10% of the Ukraine’s electrical power. After the accident tore through reactor 4, the plant continued to operate at a limited capacity and provide electricity to the newly independent Ukraine. The plant did not fully close until the millennium, and suffered one more minor accident within the turbine hall. Decommissioning is expected to finish by 2060.